Healthy Eating Fun!

This post is quite late as we look at healthy eating earlier in the school year.  It's one of my favourite units to teach because I am able to effect change when it comes to eating habits for my students AND their families.


I must say, I LOVE chocolate!  It's my weakness...now I want some!  Anyway, just this week I had a student tell me that they don't like chocolate.  I was stunned and asked why.  He responded, "I don't like chocolate because it's not healthy.  I like healthy food like apples."  Preventing childhood obesity, one kid at a time!!

During a parent-teacher interview, a parent asked me how to make popcorn on the stove because she made microwave popcorn and her son refused to eat it because, "Ms. Brown says popcorn at the movie theatres and microwave popcorn isn't a healthy choice, it's healthier if you make it yourself ."  Priceless!!  The best part about that is the student is really shy and quiet and is new to Canada and doesn't have an extensive vocabulary, but he's taking it all in!  In case you're interested, here is a recipe for the stovetop and one for the microwave.  I've also made it in a brown paper bag in the microwave.

I'd like to share a healthy/unhealthy sorting mat that I have my students complete.  I request grocery store flyers from families or just save up a bunch over the weeks.  The kids cut and paste foods into the two categories.  The brand recognition is amazing!  They clearly come across a lot of environmental print. 




 




You can get a copy of the sorting mat {here} for free.  I used fonts from Kimberly Geswein.

The sorting mat is a part of a healthy eating resource that I have posted in my TPT store.  Click on the images to check them out!



http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Healthy-Eating-Learning-About-the-Food-Groups-Canadas-Food-Guide-1030650      http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Healthy-Eating-Learning-About-the-Food-Groups-My-Plate-1030686 

No comments

Powered by Blogger.